Friday, April 10, 2015

Review: OGX

product images via official OGX site, background via diglee @ tumblr



I decided to do a review that nobody wanted. Well, I did, but the why of that is going to become readily apparent. I like how the gif turned out! I wasn't sure if I liked the poster effect, but I can dig it. Maybe ya'll think it's ugly? Today, I bring my experience with OGX hair products. I believe the name is derived from or pronounced Organix? Because of this, I guess a lot of customers assume they use organic/vegan products? I learned that from reviews, so the authenticity isn't reliable. Also, I couldn't find anything about that on their website, either. Their official site 'About' reads:

We’re beauty, pure and simple. What’s pure? It starts with our ingredients. So, we search the globe to uncover nature’s gems—natural, nourishing goodness. That’s how we find treats like the coconut in the Philippines and argan oil in Morocco. 
To us, pure beauty is also original beauty. We’ll never ask you what you don’t like about your hair or what you want to fix. We just want to know what you love about your hair so we can enhance it. Simple as that. 
So we fill every OGX bottle with exotic fragrances you crave and benefits your hair will love. Because healthy hair is happy hair. And that never goes out of style.

I'm going to note they do state they use "natural goodness", but natural doesn't equal organic and meat is natural but, the whole vegan thing. Anyway. Every time I was buying shampoo, I continuously saw the bottle and it wasn't until a few months ago that I began using the products.





Sea Mineral Moisture

★ ★ ★ ★ / 
Price: $7.99
Size: 13 fl oz
Scent: kelp/seaweed

"Quench dry, damaged hair with this nutrient rich blend of hydrating sea minerals along with healing green algae to wrap split ends in repairing moisture, while supercharged sea kelp transforms dry, brittle hair into soft supple perfection."

OGX Site Reviews





Ulta Reviews















thoughts

I really like this shampoo! I tend to mix my shampoo and conditioners until settling on specific duos. After the first wash, I could see a difference in the curl and texture of my hair. The actual color of the shampoo is a light blue. There is a strong odor, however. If you've never smelled seaweed, this is a great example. The scent was so strong those who got close could smell it--eventually, I got used to the smell. I wouldn't say the scent is bothersome as I regularly use Not Your Mother's sea salt spray. Definitely worth the price and I'm looking forward to buying the matching conditioner.




Teatree Mint


★ ★  /  ★  
Price: $7.99
Size: 13 fl oz
Scent: chocolate mint

"Re-energize your hair with this blend of active ingredients. Australian tea tree oils strengthen while moisturizing milk proteins hydrate and micro-infused peppermint oils bring balance. A three-in-one treat in one refreshing formula."

OGX Site Reviews






Ulta Reviews







thoughts

I did some major review reading before buying. Amazon's reviews suggest this as the best conditioner OGX has to offer. The site and Ulta reviews suggest the same. The smell is great! The scent doesn't linger for very long, but it is overpowered by the Sea Mineral Moisture. Everything else is normal for a conditioner, excluding the mint green color. I had major hopes for this conditioner and it was SUCH a letdown when my hair looked horrible. This is the reason, before I cut my hair, I was tying or twisting it up. Will not even be trying the shampoo (which is why the Ulta reviews are for the conditioner).




Coconut Water Hydration Oil


★   /  ★  
Price: $4.99 (on sale)
Size: 4 fl oz
Scent: ???

"Re-energize your hair with this blend of active ingredients. Australian tea tree oils strengthen while moisturizing milk proteins hydrate and micro-infused peppermint oils bring balance. A three-in-one treat in one refreshing formula."


OGX Site Reviews


Ulta Reviews





thoughts / / final

You may have noticed there are only two reviews from the OGX website. Why? Six out of six reviews give this product five stars. Ulta, out of nine, gave a whopping three-point-three stars. I would seriously recommend not buying. Again, I did a lot of review searching on Ulta, Amazon, the site, and a few popular retailers. I honestly thought this product was going to be amazing. Never have I been happier to buy something on sale.

The spray isn't so much a mist as it sits on the hair--oil is in the name after all. I suppose I was surprised because of the shape of the bottle. Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum is similar, but the oil comes out of the pump. It's hard to explain? The oil is lightweight enough that when the nozzle is pushed, a spray is expected but it shoots out on top of the hair--like mixing vinegar and water.

There is a nice shine and no strays as an end result but there's no body. The worst part, though, is the smell. So many of the reviews mention a lovely coconut. IT SMELLS LIKE FUCKING MELTED BUTTER. It's so rancid. I immediately regretted spraying my hair because all day I smelled like butter. No kelp, no mint. Disgusting.


My review may not be that positive, but there seems to be a market for OGX. The reviews are all over the board and ultimately, it's up to what you need and whether the product will work or not. I'd suggest comparing your current shower duo to what you want to purchase. Research, research, research.

No comments :

Post a Comment